Saturday, October 4, 2008

Shirley, Shirley...

I got a kick out of Shirley. Shirley is Cheryl's mom's caregiver. Cheryl, her mom and Shirley were dropping off some food at the inn. This was Cheryl's mom and Shirley's first visit to Journey's Inn. Cheryl encouraged Shirley to go look at the courtyard and to check out the turtles.

Shirley's eyes widened like saucers and said in a heart palpatating way, "I'm scared of turtles." I said, "Oh, Shirley, one of the turtles will be scared of you and I'll show you how I feed the other turtle." Reluctantly she came outside to check out the turtles and watch me feed Yurtle.

I said, "Well, Shirley, at least we don't have snakes." Her eyes popped open again and she said, "You have snakes, too?!?!"

After helping Shirley climb down from the pole she had climbed, I helped her back in Journey's Inn and fanned her while her heart slowed down to the sound of the clock on the wall.

Shirley, Shirley...